Police Department Employment Procedures
Once your application is returned to City of North Charleston Human Resources, located at 2500 City Hall Lane, North Charleston SC, 29406. The application is forwarded to the Police Department Personnel Screening Office.
The application is then reviewed by a member of the Personnel Screening Office. There will be an informal interview; the application reviewed and qualified applicants will then be scheduled for the next steps in the process.
- A physical agility test.
- A reading comprehension examination
- A polygraph examination
- You will be required to complete a background investigation questionnaire.
- You will be required to sign a waiver authorizing the City of North Charleston Police Department to complete an extensive background investigation on you.
Upon completion of the investigation, a formal interview with the Chief of Police is scheduled. Successful candidates will then be scheduled for further testing:
- A physical examination
- drug screen
- psychological evaluation
Upon completion a hire date will be given to the Candidate.
- Candidates must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina Drivers License.
- Candidates must have a good employment history and credit history ( No Defaulted Student Loans, No Civil Judgments and acceptable police record)
- Candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates must be in good physical and mental condition.
- Candidates are required to undergo a polygraph exam, physical, drug screen and psychological evaluation.
- Candidates must complete a 3 week in-house recruit class and a 9 week police academy class in Columbia, SC
- Certified Officers from out of state will be required to provide copies of training curriculum and transcripts.
- Candidates are required to submit to a physical agility test.
- Candidates are required to take a reading/vocabulary exam
- Any conviction of driving under the influence, driving under suspension or leaving the scene of an accident ( without explanation) within the past 5 years.
- Any conviction of crimes of moral turpitude.
- Any conviction of criminal domestic violence.
- Any intentional falsification during the interview or application process. Or failure to appear for any scheduled appointment.
- A dishonorable discharge from the military.
- Any felony convictions.
- Use of cocaine within the past 5 years, any past use of LSD, PCP or marijuana in the past three years. Any selling or purchase of illegal drugs.
- Any theft from former employers or shoplifting since the age of 17
- Any admission of criminal activity that has gone undetected or any admission that would bring discredit to the North Charleston Police Department.
For further questions please call the North Charleston Police Department Recruitment, Screening and Background Investigation office at (843) 740-2827.
Public Works Department
Equipment Operator II must have a SCDL – CDL Class A license.
Equipment Operator I must have a SCDL - CDL Class B license.
All applicants applying for the Equipment Operator position must have a Previous Employment Testing History for U.S. Department of Transportation Covered Employees form filled out by your previous employer. If you cannot obtain a copy of this form from your previous employer one may be obtained from Human Resources.