Planning & Management
The Department of Planning & Management monitors growth and development within the city and works to provide communities and businesses with information to help sustain the local economy. To sustain long-term growth in key parts of our city the Department of Planning & Management reviews demographic trends, capacity for growth, reviews the US Census statistics and works on information to assist everyone's needs.
At the core of any planning activity are the neighborhoods and North Charleston is home to many diverse neighborhoods. The Planning Department seeks to strengthen communities, enhance their capability to work with the city, and identify needed neighborhood improvements through the creation of neighborhood driven plans.
- Safeguard the character of the neighborhoods maintaining a clear edge between the adjacent communities.
- Assess and preserve the historic value of properties, and natural values.
- To enhance the economic vitality of the City of North Charleston.
- Anticipate and address the housing needs of all City residents.
- Keep people and structures out of harm's way.
- Monitor local transportation issues such as traffic congestion and intensity of dependence on the different transportation modes.
- Planning the future zoning and its innovations.
- Keep updating the Master Plan.
- Monitoring the City incorporating policies and practices.
- Citizen involvement in present and future City issues.
The Planning Commission
The Planning Commission is an advisory body made up of eight appointed citizens of the City who meet to hear rezoning requests, subdivision variance requests and to review subdivision plats.
Planning Commission meetings are held at 6:00 pm in the 2nd Floor Conference Room at City Hall on the 2nd Monday of each month.
Rezoning applications must be turned in 4 weeks in advance of the meeting date in order to be placed on the agenda.
City Council meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month.
City Council thereafter receives a report from Planning Commission and a public hearing is then conducted in the following month after the proposal has been presented to Planning Commission.
The matter would next be referred to the Public Safety Committee (a subcommittee of City Council) and then final reading is given on the 4th Thursday of the month.
For further information on the rezoning process, contact Gwen Moultrie-Williams, City Planner (T/T), at (843) 740-2572 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLANNING COMMISSION MONTHLY AGENDA
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
The City of North Charleston's Community Development Office administers the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program and the HOME Investment Partnership Act (HOME) Program. These are federally funded programs through the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Find more CDBG information here.
Planning & Management is located in the One Stop Shop on the 3rd floor of City Hall at 2500 City Hall Lane
Hours of Operation:
|Monday - Thursday
7:30 am - 5:30 pm
7:30 am - 5:00 pm