Artist Assistance initiatives serve the dual purposes of strengthening the City's quality of life for residents and visitors and building a strong foundation for future economic growth. The North Charleston Cultural Arts Department is actively involved in developing the community through assisting individual artists and arts organizations. Our facilities are at full capacity and we are experiencing escalating interest as City initiatives move forward to meet growing facility needs. Each year the Cultural Arts Department assists hundreds of arts organizations and individual artists from every art discipline ranging from the local to state levels. Activities include:
- Utilizing professional artists/arts organizations in a multidiscipline array of cultural events for residents and visitors.
- Providing donated or affordable space for studios, rehearsals, productions, performances, classes, offices, etc.
- Providing arts related technical assistance as requested on a variety of topics.
- Providing rosters, referrals, and recommendations to agencies seeking to hire artists.
- Providing relocation information for artists seeking to move into North Charleston.
- Publicizing appropriate area arts organizations and events in our printed quarterly guide, e-newsletter, and web page.
- Co-sponsoring the Low Country Quarterly Arts Grants partnership with the City of Charleston and SC Arts Commission. (See application for guidelines).
- Serving on various boards and committees at the local and state level that promote the development of the cultural community.
- Aiding in the City's development initiatives by using the arts as a tool for revitalization and economic development.
- Co-sponsorship as appropriate with organizations and individual artists on long-term or short-term programs of mutual interest. This program provides low-risk, affordable, or free opportunities for existing organizations to expand their programs and services.
- Coordinating an Annual Fine Art and Craft Co-op.
- Providing opportunities for artists and fine craft artisans to sell their work at the Arts Festival, Christmas Festival, and City Gallery Gift Shop.
- Providing internships and shadowing opportunities for college students studying the arts or arts administration.
Contact the Cultural Arts Department at (843)740-5854 for more information on any of the above programs/services.